The highly anticipated month of September is finally here! It’s an exciting time whether you are into football, or are looking for a change in season. For us savers, September is also great for its big discounts for Labor Day and beyond! Here are some purchases where you can save this month: Buys from last season – Now that September officially marks the beginning of … Continue reading September is for Saving
All shoppers and savers: Watch out for your state’s sales tax holiday this weekend! This year, many states have their sales tax holidays in August, particularly this Friday-Sunday: Alabama – August 3-5 Arkansas – August 4-5 Connecticut – August 19-25 Florida – August 3-5 Georgia – August 10-11 Iowa – August 3-4 Louisiana – August 3-4 Maryland – August 12-18 Missouri – August 3-5 New … Continue reading Sales tax holidays this weekend! What to buy?
Attention teachers, parents, and students: states nationwide are providing tax free holiday weekends just in time for back to school shopping! This weekend, Louisiana will provide exemption from state taxes on the first $2,500 of tangible consumer purchases. The 4% state tax will be removed, but taxes imposed by parishes, municipalities, and other political subdivisions will still apply. For Louisiana, the holiday will officially begin … Continue reading LOUISIANA SALES TAX HOLIDAY THIS FRIDAY & SATURDAY!
Last week we discussed how to save on school supplies for the upcoming school year. This week we will discuss ways to save on clothing. Try these money-savings strategies when shopping for uniforms or clothing for back to school:
- Don’t opt out hand-me-downs. If uniforms are required, try to find an older sibling, friend or neighbor who you can borrow or purchase their used uniforms.
- Sell your gently-used uniforms for cash. There are some consignment stores specifically for school uniforms. If there is not one in your area, you can always put the word out that you are selling your child’s used uniforms – if they are still in good condition!
- Buy used uniforms. Try visiting a local consignment store. You may also get lucky and find backpacks and other items for less! Continue reading “Week 2 of 2: Back to School Savings”
Most of the excitement that comes with a new school year is the new school supplies and clothing. Over the next two weeks we will discuss savings on clothing and supplies for the upcoming school year. Whether you are shopping for your kids or a college student paying for yourself, it is not necessary to break the bank! Consider these tips when shopping for back to school supplies:
- Shop year round! Always be on the lookout for notebooks, pens, pencils, or calculators on sale. When you find something, go ahead and buy it and pack it away until you need. You never know when something may come up and it may not be the best month to spend the extra money. Shop smart and buy when you can.
- Rent textbooks. If you are a college student looking to save some money on textbooks, consider renting instead of buying. You will spend a lot less and avoid being told that the bookstore is no longer using your book anymore when trying to sell it back! Continue reading “Week 1 of 2: Back to School Savings”